- Autonomy – a novel
- News and Events
- Autonomy Blog
- Autonomy Canon
Posted in: by jean-michel on April 16, 2013
The Struggle for the Future of Human Evolution Begins
When Cal Sheldon puts himself into an artificial coma and loads his mind onto the advanced computer he and his university colleagues secretly designed, he leaves behind a dying Earth and discovers new life in the world they’ve created. This breakthrough gives rise to an underground community and launches an illegal scientific renaissance. But can they stay ahead of those who would destroy them? And do they have the courage to embrace a radical plan for survival, one that might give them the freedom they seek, but could cost them their very humanity?
Autonomy explores some of the many directions human evolution may take and confronts the conflicts within our human culture that threaten the present and future potential of our species.
- “Thumbs up! Very entertaining. The ideas that he proposes are absolutely fascinating … and the Base-60 system, it’s fascinating!”–Joey’s Culture Corner, TrekWest5
- “Solid craftsmanship … engaging … worth the time. I found myself eager to find out what happens next.”–SF Signal
- “Fast Paced … some of the best sci-fi I’ve ever read!”–nmatrix5, reddit.com
- “Compelling story … a skillful writer … I was immediately entranced.”–Goeff Lehr, blogspot.com
- Paperback ($16.99), 362 pages
S3: The Smith Sexagesimal System
S3: The Smith Sexagesimal System is a detailed treatment and modernization of the ancient base-60 numerical system first developed by the Sumerians around 3100 BC. S3 combines ancient and modern mathematical concepts, unifying them with quantum physics and general relativity. The result is an innovative new system that enhances arithmetic intelligence and simplifies difficult physics concepts.
- “Thumbs Up! The ideas [the author] proposes…the base-60 system, it’s fascinating!”
–Joey’s Culture Corner, TrekWest5
- “Very, very interesting and well explained.”
-Scott Nottingham, Goodreads
- “Promoting a purer understanding of the relationships between space and time … 5 stars. The system is just that neat.”
–Patrick Louis, amazon.com
- Paperback ($8.99), 72 pages.
- eBook also available:
Reference – Autonomy : The Author’s Canon
An “official” overview of the Autonomy universe as envisioned by its author, Jean-Michel Smith.
LOGS: micro-fondements d’émancipation sociale et artistique contains 5 excerpts of essays embedded in 4 chapters of the French translation of an earlier draft of “Autonomy: Freedom of Thought,” as part of a collection of essays on free culture and collaborative artistic endeavour. It does NOT contain any text that appears in the current revision of the novel.